Friday 6 March 2009

Maria+Holic - Episode 1

Honestly, I don’t know what I got myself into… =.= ...

I don’t read a lot of mangas so I haven’t heard of Maria+Holic before watching it. I thought I had just got myself into a yuri (girl on girl love, to sum it up short and sweet: lesbian) anime. But no!

Here’s how it began:
Our protagonist named Kanoko, a tall, lesbian, joins a Catholic School for Girls. Here she hopes to find her true love. She gets lost along the way to school and starts to panic.
She meets Matsurika, a rude, grey haired maid of the rich family that owns the estate next to the school. The whole scene then rolls into hilarity as Matsurika throws random insults about Kanoko’s outrageous height and the Eiffel Tower. Kanoko gets all panicky and defensive.
Maria (alternate spelling: Mariya) comes to save her after a while. She *cough* He *cough* introduces herself and leaves her with a kiss. Perhaps now would be a good time to mention that Kanoko develops rashes after coming in contact with a boy and guess what happened after the kiss? You guessed it. Kanoko develops a rash.
Kanoko tries to find Maria later for a tour of the school. She find her *cough* him *cough* changing only to find out the “it” is a “him”. An awkward funny moment for viewers like me who had no clue what was going to happen.

Now the secrets out! What do they do? Blackmail the gullible Kanoko and permanently displace her room mate and live with her to ensure the secret is kept, of course.

Now, I thought that was quite weird, I didn’t quite expect anything like that to happen. I was expecting something like “Strawberry Panic” or something but this took a different turn. I really liked the vibrant art and the way they portrayed Kanoko’s thoughts was quite cute. In terms of comedy, it didn’t leave a great impression on me. I found myself laughing at the shock humour like when the secret was revealed and when Maria stripped off Matsuri’s maid dress. The hysterical thoughts of Kanoko were meant to be funny, but it didn’t quite get to me. I haven’t seen any “transvestite” anime before. But it’s funny, it’s fresh, it’s new and I guess I’ll have to wait and see how the plays out.
P.S: I've linked main character info to MAL (MyAnimeList.com) and as you can see, each blogger is trying a different layout according to what he/she wants. So if you prefer a style more than the other feel free to email us. =.=

No comments:

Post a Comment